How We Accept Submissions
If you would like to submit a guest article for consideration, there are one of two ways to do it:
- By invitation. If we’ve read your writing and feel that it would fit with our content, we may reach out to invite you to write for us.
- By request. If you are on our mailing list or connected with us online and are an active member of our community, you can contact us with your ideas. We do not publish content from someone that we don’t know and have never connected with, so be sure we can get to know you before you ask to write! Please note: we do not accept requests on behalf of agencies or third-parties. If YOU contact us about writing then YOU must be the one writing!
- Your topic must cover some area of interest to businesses related to branding, web, search or social marketing. We aren’t looking for tech articles or geek-speak, nor are we looking to promote any particular product, service or company.
- Choose your own topic! It’s your article so choose something you’re interested in and knowledgeable about. You should either work in a related industry or have personal experience with the topic that you’re writing about.
- We do not accept submissions of less than 750 words. Most articles on this site start at 1000 words and can range up to 3000. Most importantly, please make your point in as many words as you need to make it clear, thorough and interesting.
- All articles must have an introductory hook. If you bore us, you’ll probably bore our readers.
- Likewise, articles should have a conclusion so we know you’re done. Sum up your main points, give your opinion or ask a question.
- It should go without saying (but we’ll say it anyway) that your article needs a good title. And please, no “secrets”.
- Use subheadings where appropriate. All posts must have at least one subheading.
- For more about formatting see our style guide.
- Once you submit your article, it will be reviewed initially for content and style. If we feel that it will work for our site, we will most likely send you suggestions and comments for improving it. Most guest posts that we publish go through at least two rounds of revisions and must be approved by at least two of our team members. Please don’t be offended if we suggest changes. We’re domineering control-freaks.
- Finally, we want to hear you in your articles. Don’t be afraid to show some personality. Our goal is to inform and entertain at the same time.
Sharing And Linking
- We only accept original content that has not been published in whole or in part on another site. Please do not reprint your article on another site since Google generally doesn’t like repeated content, and we like to keep Google happy. You can, however, publish a link on your website that links directly to your article on our site, or publish an excerpt of your article on your site with a link to the full article on ours.
- Any content submitted to our site becomes the property of this site. We retain the right to share, market and use the content (with credit to you) for the purpose of promoting this site, our business or other related endeavors.
- We will publish inline links in your article providing they have value related to your topic. We will not publish affiliate links or links to your clients.
- We have to be able to find you online! If you have no social accounts, website or blog, chances are we’re not going to publish your content.
- We require all authors to have a Gravatar to publish along with their article. It must be G-rated.
- We will choose an article image for you. If you’re skilled with a camera or have a photo that’s relevant and you’d like us to use it, let us know and we’ll check it out.
- We want to promote you as the author and will publish your bio and a link to your website, blog, Twitter page, etc. along with your article providing they’re family-friendly. Please provide us with this information with your submission. The best bios tell a little about your professional experience, with something personal, too.
- We would appreciate a link to your article from your site or blog. Cross-promotion will help us build community.
- We expect you to be available to answer comments on your article on its publication date. If you do not answer comments then we reserve the right to remove your bio and promotional links.
- We reserve the right not to publish your article. All content is reviewed by a group of 3-4 people and the decision to publish must be approved by at least two. We will only publish content that meets the standards and vision of this site. If we decide not to publish your article, we’ll let you know and you retain the right to publish it anywhere and in any way you choose.
- In order to provide consistent and timely content to our readers, we have a set publication schedule. Depending on how many posts are in the queue, the timeliness of the content, the alignment of Jupiter and other things, we’ll let you know when you can expect to see your article in print. Please be patient! Our queue is often filled months ahead.